Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Missing tasty foods for diet? - here is why your diet WILL fail

"Fallen off the wagon, have you?" is what people (who know I am on a diet) say when they see me eating chocolates, kebabs, lassi and hyderabadi biriyani. However what most people do not realize it that by staying off your favorite foods, your diet is essentially doomed!

The trick is to NEVER give up your favorite foods. If you do, you feel like sacrificing, which adds a lot more emotional stress to your diet. And believe me, your diet will fail, especially once the results start pleatueing.

All you have to do while eating your favorite foods is to make sure you are not exceeding calories by too much. Generally I put 2 complete days as no-diet days every week (mostly saturday and sunday), that way, I diet the entire week and eat the items I love on these two days. The important point of eating during these 2 off-diet days is RELISHING the food! not splurging it. Order a chicken biriyani or icecream, but eat until your hunger is satiated, not until your stomach feels like bursting!

I also realized something during this time - I used to eat one and a half biriyanis generally, but after I started eating only till my hunger was satiated, I am eating only half a biriyani! This is a very useful thing to do especially once your diet concludes and you are following a normal diet.

And most important of all - NEVER eat fatty food you HATE! For example, I hate sweets in general, but used to just pop them whenever I pass by a sweet box, just for the heck of it. NEVER do this. there is nothing more counter-productive and stupid than eating fatty foods you hate!

No comments: